Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Breakfast for dinner

I love having breakfast for dinner. Last night we had Biscuits and Sausage Gravy with Tofu Scramble.
I got the biscuit recipe from Jewish Vegan and they were the best vegan bicuits I have ever made! Usually mine come out all hard and dense and flat. Not the case with these! Check out her recipe and blog post for pictures. Hers look way better than mine. Her main tip for making them fluffy was folding the dough over before rolling it out. Next time I'll probably roll them out even less and make bigger fluffier biscuits. The sausage gravy I kind of made up. I browned some of the leftover Italian sausage from the Sicilian Bread Pie and added flour and soy milk to make the gravy. For some reason the gravy came out tasting kind of sweet. Not sure if it was the fennel in the sausage or what. I also used whole wheat pastry flour because I had just used up the last of my unbleached white flour in the biscuits. So who knows. It was okay. My Tofu Scramble was just kind of thrown together with some squash and zucchini, nutritional yeast and tumeric. Nothing special. But all together it was breakfast!

Speaking of Breakfast....This month's Vegan Culinary Experience (online magazine) is called What's for Breakfast. I haven't got a chance to check it out yet, but I look forward to looking at all the recipes. Alisa of One Frugal Foodie turned me on to the Vegan Culinary Experience and I thank her for that. I also thank her for the Cinnamon Roll recipe she currently has up on her blog. I have big plans to make these for Easter morning breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. The meal looks delicious. I will have to try the biscuit recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dan & i have never had breakfast for dinner - i think we need to change all that soon! mmmmmmmm! your biscuits 'n gravy looks awesome - and so does your scramble! i don't know what would have caused the gravy to be sweeter, but that's happened to us before - i think we let the onion for our gravy cook for too long and it got all caramelized and sweet.

    i just checked out One Frugal Foodie - i've never heard of it before! the site looks really neat & i printed out the recipe for those cinnamon buns, too. always thought they were too labor intensive for me to want to make, but i love her idea of putting the dough in the fridge overnight to rise! brilliant! i'm going to get over to Vegan Culinary Experience as well & see what it's all about! thanks for the links! :)

    ReplyDelete